Active Start: Active Start Soccer Fests
FUNdamentals: Active Start Soccer Fests
Learn to Train: Chvrolet Soccer Skills Program
Soccer is the largest participation sport in Canada and the world, providing healthy physical activity for players at all levels of ability. At the most basic level of participation, soccer enhances the well-being of individuals across the nation; at the high performance level, soccer is a vehicle for elite athlete achievement and hailed internationally as “The Beautiful Game”.
Along with teamwork, soccer teaches participants fundamental movement skills, fundamental sport skills and the ABCs – agility, balance, coordination and speed – of physical literacy.
Soccer’s Long-Term Player Development (LTPD) model consists of seven stages.
- Active Start (M, F Under-4 to Under-6) – Encourages children to move and have fun.
- FUNdamentals (M U6-U9, F U6-U8) – Teaches kids fundamental movement and soccer skills while maintaining an emphasis on FUN.
- Learn to Train (M U9-12, F U8-U11) – Begins developing soccer skills and speed.
- Train to Train (M U12-16, F U11-15) – Builds physical capacities and tactical knowledge for early- to mid-teenage athletes, with an eye for identifying the elite player.
- Train to Compete (M U16-19, F U15-18) – Refines skills and position-specific physical and mental training for the mid- to late-teenage athletes, with the goal of developing the international player.
- Train to Win (M 19+, F 18+) – Perfects performance for athletes striving to become a World Cup player.
- Active for Life (M, F 12+) – Encourages players to stay in the game, whether competitively or recreationally, for life.
Wellness to the World Cup: LTPD
The Canadian Soccer LTPD model, Wellness to World Cup, is designed to optimize Canadian excellence and lifelong wellness through soccer.
Canada Soccer Pathway
A roadmap of the rational pathway for player development in Canada.
The Ombrelle Active Start Soccer Fest is an internationally recognized youth development program targeted at children under the age of 12. The goal of the festival program is to introduce the sport of soccer to youth through a fun-filled event for both children and their parents.
Chevrolet Soccer Skills Program is a national initiative dedicated to helping kids age 8-12 and coaches hone the basics for playing The Beautiful Game.
Canadian Soccer Association – canadasoccer.com