Paddling is a sport that has been led by knowledgeable, competent and experienced group of professional coaches and dedicated volunteers. These people have achieved success in the sustained development of athletes throughout all stages of the athlete development model. To ensure that CanoeKayak Canada continues to be successful, we have developed a Long-Term Athlete Development model that will help align all aspects of paddling across Canada.
Along with teamwork, paddling teaches participants fundamental movement skills, fundamental sport skills and the ABCs – agility, balance, coordination and speed – of physical literacy.
Canoe and Kayak’s Whitewater Long-Term Paddler Development (LTPD) model consists of seven stages.
- Active Start (M, F 0-6) – Encourages children to explore fundamental movement skills and link them together into play.
- FUNdamentals (M 6-12, F 6-11) – Develops a range of overall sport skills, builds water sense and safety awareness and teaches basic boat and paddle handling skills in age-appropriate sprint canoes and kayaks.
- Developmentals (Learn to Train) (M 9-13, F 9-12) – Focuses on physiological development and technique while addressing the ABCs.
- Transformation (Train to Train) (M 12-17+/-, F 11-16+/-) – Refines and consolidates paddling skills and develops sport-specific physiological components while introducing race.
- Pursuit of Excellence (Train to Compete) (M 16-23+/-, F 15-23+/-) – Further develops and refines both physiological components and racing skills in preparation for Olympic settings.
- Train to Win (M, F 20+/-) – Hones individual training, technique and racing skills so athletes have the greatest potential to win.
- Active for Life (M, F any age) – Encourages individuals to remain in canoe and kayak and/or other activities, whether competitively or recreationally, for life.
- Establishes a clear and consistent developmental pathway for canoe and kayak.
- Guides the examination of the current system to indentify strengths, gaps and inconsistencies.
- Guides coaches in planning training, racing and recovery programs that are consistent with the principles of growth and maturation.
- Allows athletes to achieve optimal performances and encourages them to stay in the sport for life.
- Helps Canadian paddlers perform better and more consistently at the elite level from year to year.
CanoeKayak BC: Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) Implementation Plan
This document outlines the actions CanoeKayak BC will undertake to implement CS4L’s LTAD.
CanoeKayak Canada – canoekayak.ca